What perennials would you recommend planting in sunny and shady areas around homes? (Some residents have moved from very different parts of the country and may not be familiar with even very common local varieties.)
- This is mainly personal preference.
- Look at pictures to see what appeals to you.
- Make note of how many hours of sun vs. shade your garden area gets during the course of a day.
- Look at the space you have available, both in terms of area and height.
- Visit your garden center and talk to them about what may be best.
What annuals work well here?
- Most that are sold in garden centers should be fine here.
- Keep in mind frost dates—don’t want to put out annuals until there is minimal chance of frost. https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource001470_Rep1995.pdf
What soil preparation is needed for plants to do well here?
- Soil can be sent to UNH: https://extension.unh.edu/Problem-Diagnosis-and-Testing-Services/Soil-Testing
- Coast of Maine Organic Soil Products (available at Bedford Fields, Agway, Blue Seal Feeds, Siciliano Landscape Co.)
Where would you recommend going for plants and planting supplies?
- Amherst Garden Center, Rte. 101
- Bedford Fields, Rte. 101
- Frizzhome Gardens, 270 Back River Road, Bedford, NH
- Pitarys Farm 719 W. Hollis St., Nashua, NH 03062
- House By The Side of the Road, Rte. 101, Wilton
- Amazing Flower Farm, 202 Poor Farm Road., New Ipswich, NH 03071
What are some good sources of information/help for local gardening?
- Amherst Garden Club Facebook page
What critters should gardeners watch out for and how can we minimize their impact?
- Deer: Love newly emerging hosta, as well as other tender shoots.
- Here is an article on deer resistant native plants: https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource003878_Rep7818.pdf
- Moles eat grubs & worms. Voles eat vegetable matter; they love tulip & crocus bulbs
- Another on what to do about various critters: https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000564_Rep586.pdf
You can download a copy of this article here: pdf Fells garden talk 2017 (93 KB)
Download a copy of "Become a Xeriscape Artist" here: pdf Become a Xeriscape Artist (919 KB)